Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Mix Tape #1

If I would make you a mix CD right now, I'd make you two, and this is what I'd put on them.

Disc 1
1. "People As Places As People"-- Modest Mouse
2. "Call It A Ritual"-- Wolf Parade
3. "You Belong"-- Hercules and Love Affair
4. "Let's Make Love and Listen To Death From Above"-- CSS
6. "No Substitute Love"-- Estelle
7. "First Class Riot"-- The Tough Alliance
8. "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover"-- Paul Simon
9. "Lost Coastlines"-- Okkervil River
10. "Love Dog"-- TV On the Radio
11. "Visions of Johanna"-- Bob Dylan
12. "Skinny Love"-- Bon Iver
13. "Twilight"-- Elliott Smith
14. "Waiting Around to Die"-- Townes Van Zandt

Disc 2
1. "Four Provinces"-- The Walkmen
2. "Constructive Summer"-- The Hold Steady
3. "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As Your Told)-- The White Stripes
4. "Gobbledigook"-- Sigur Ros
5. "Party Barge"-- The Silver Jews
6. "I Luv the Valley OH"-- Xiu Xiu
7. "Where Summer Goes"-- Peter and the Wolf
8. "Fools"-- The Dodos
9. "Rise Above"-- The Dirty Projectors
10. "Little Brother"-- Grizzly Bear
11. "Lawyers, Guns, and Money"-- Warren Zevon
12. "Sympathy For the Devil"-- The Rolling Stones
13. "If I Had a Boat"-- Lyle Lovett
14. "Green Gloves"-- The National

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great list! I have heard of most of these. I'll test drive the ones I haven't. Thanks for the lists! - Hector

Anonymous said...

Nice. same as above.

Anonymous said...

just took the first CD for a bike ride. My favorites that I had never heard were "no substitute love," "Visions of Johanna."

Also thanks for reminding me about "Twilight." the interlude (I think it's an organ and violin playing) is unreal.

Bart Schaneman said...

Thanks, Scott. Yeah, that Estelle song is a happiness inducer. Her entire record is great. Upbeat soul. Fun music. It's hard to pick a Dylan song, pretty much anything off "Blonde on Blonde" is better than 99 percent of music ever made. But Visions of Johanna is the best. Try the second CD. There are some good moments on that, as well.

Anonymous said...

correction: I meant I really liked "First Class Riot," rather than "no substitute love" on the first CD.

As for the second CD: Wow! I've always wanted to give Sigur Ros a try, and this music may change my life. Great great songs throughout I love The National and they will always remind of my trip to Argentina as I discovered them there, but I haven't heard the others...."Four Provinces", and "I luv the Valley OH!" were stand outs for me, and you've got to love "If I had a boat." Why wasn't that on the radio where we grew up? Thanks for posting this Bart -I really like your taste - exactly what a need to get out of my musical rut.

Anonymous said...

Also great title - "Mix Tape #1," - Much like the art of writing and receiving a letter has been lost in today's electronic communication, that tangible, personal feel of creating or receiving a tape is also gone. Now we just "dedicate" or attach a song to an email.... but perhaps blogs such as this one bridge that impersonal gap....at least it feels that way with listening to this music right now. ;)

Bart Schaneman said...

You're welcome, Scott. RE: Letters, I know what you mean. I'm lucky enough to have a few friends that still send letters, and every time I see an envelope that's not a bill sticking out of my mailbox my day is improved immensely.

Keep rocking. Give me a few days and another one will be on its way.

Anonymous said...

FYI, just read the lyrics to "Green Gloves," and especially poignant for someone so far from home.

Bart Schaneman said...

Right, it is, as is that LCD song that I keep quoting from. Except that "Green Gloves" is a little creepier, sneaking into your friends' houses and trying on their clothes, sleeping in their beds when they're gone. I can't quite say I would do that.